Tuesday, August 12, 2014

I'm Doing a Thing!

Hey people of the internet!

It's D again. And I've got some news.

I entered two of my drawings in a localish fair, and am going to do a demonstration! Here's the story...

(Yes, this turned into a full-fledged life story. Sorry if it's a bit long, I just wanted to cover everything. And not much happens around here, so when it does, I take full advantage of that. Oh, and I didn't take the picture above. I got it off of Pinterest.)

   A while ago Dad and I were at IHop having dinner for date-night, and we were talking about art. He proposed that I enter some of my drawings into the local(ish) fair. Of course, I said I would have to think about it. I mean, all I'd have to do would be to hand it to some person to hang up on a wall filled with other people's art, right?


   A long time later, on the seventh, our art teacher was at our house and I mentioned it. She was concerned that it might have already closed (they only give you so much time to renter), so we checked the fair website. It said that they were open for walk-in entries on Friday night (which was the next day) or Saturday morning. But on Saturday, we were already scheduled to go have lunch with family for our Grandpa's 88th birthday (on my dad's side) at eleven (he's as old as the queen of England, you know).

   So I spent the rest of the day and a good portion of the next refining a drawing I did of Rachel McAdams, which you can see here. Then Grandma (from my mom's side) suggested I also enter my stippling of a grove of apple trees, so I worked on finishing that one, also.

   My mom printed out the rules for entry, and we made a trip to Hobby Lobby for framing (which lasted a long time, and a very confusing one at that) and returned home with frames that we weren't sure we even needed.

   We were planning to head out early the next morning when Dad concluded that it would probably be better if we left right then (late Friday), so I rapidly finished the pencil and pen-and-ink and Mom packed everything we would need into a bag.

   Dad drove me and we had to maneuver the grounds in search of the 'fine arts' building. We found a building where people were going in with their stuff, and a lady asked if I hand three entries (since I was carrying a big bag loaded with everything we could possibly need). I said two, and pulled them out. She immediately stated that 'fine arts' were just around the corner. So we hurried off through the empty grounds (my dad pointed out how strange it felt) until we found it.

   A table with a few young girls and a middle-aged lady seated behind it awaited us, and we found our document to sign and confirmed that we needed no frames.

   The problem was that because the rules were not clear about framing, we hadn't put the lack backing on yet. So we found a table and pieced together matting and drawing. That's when I realized how nervous I was. My hands shook as I tried to write in my date of birth and name.

   After getting very confused with the birth-date system (don't ask) and using a glue stick to keep the matting on the paper, I handed in both entries and filled-in forms to the girl.

   Another girls with chocolate skin and dark hair gave me generous comments about my stippling (which, unfortunately, I forgot to take a picture of before entering). She was very outgoing and encouragingly complemented it. I liked her a lot, though I'm sure that I came off as shy (which I am normally not) since I was so nervous.

   That drew the attention of the head lady, who came over and gave it a look. Apparently, she wa very empressed, because she quickly asked if I wanted to do a demonstration at the fair.

   I, of course, said no. I was nervous enough already, and said how I would be too freaked to do something like that.

   Then, ever-helpful Dad stepped in and said "no, she'll do it." Yep, Dad had his opinion. I wasn't so opposed as to say anything, and it happened so fast. So it was okay that he encouraged me like he did.

   The lady explained that all I would have to do would be sit at a table for a set time and draw. That's it. And if someone came by and asked "when did you start drawing?" or "that's really good!" I should answer with "ten." or "thank you." She also said that I would get three free tickets and a parking pass.

   Since Mom didn't pick up her phone to talk us out of it, Dad singed me up for Monday, the 25th, from 2 to 6.

   Yep, that was it. Now I'm doing a demonstration from 4 hours at a fair that has (I'm quoting the lady) a thousand people come through each day. I don't know weather to be excited or scared. Has anyone done this sort of thing before? I'd love any tips :) I should probably come up with what I will be drawing before hand... huh.

   Anyway, the point is, I'm pretty nervous right now. And if you guys have any tips, let me know! :)

Thanks for sticking with me through this (very, very long) post!



  1. Cool! :-D I'll be praying for you Darrion! I'm sure you'll be glad you got the opportunity to do this and did it in a year or two, or maybe a few months. ;-)

    1. Thank you so much, Mary! You're so sweet :) Yeah, I'm hoping that all will go well. I'm sure I'll like it enough :)

  2. That is SO exciting Darrion!!! I'm sure you'll do great, and it probably won't be as nerve racking as it seems. :) I'm going to the fair the 26th, to bad I'll be missing you! Let me know how it goes!!!

    1. Thanks, Evelyn! I'm hoping so :) Man, so close!! But hey, my entries will still be up somewhere :) Did you enter anything into the fair?

    2. I did not enter anything in the fair, I've never really been that interested in it - or that on top of things! I always think of it to late. :) I'll certainly keep an eye out for your art!


Thank you for commenting! I love comments, so feel free to leave as many as you like, but keep it clean, please.